Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Delectatio morosa


Although much of my graduate education involved reading Germans, I am more Catholic than German. So I do not so much experience Schadenfreude as I do delectatio morosa in viewing the above image of Mother Cindy Sheehan, she of the (apparently former) "absolute moral authority", campaigning to an empty street in San Francisco.

Delectatio morosa is a category in Catholic morals and means "sullen delight". It means taking pleasure in dwelling on thoughts that are immoral.

As I have blogged before, I have friends who spend a lot of time trying to be good. I will do it if I can, but don't struggle about it. For example, taking peevish delight in the pathetic end of the Sheehan woman is not something that makes me wonder about whether or not I am "a good person". I have elsewhere noted that I have no sympathy for her and have described her in voice, not print, in language that I rarely use.

She also reveals the fraud of the gender-feminist crowd, who hold that women are men's equals in every way but then, along with the genfen-led press, call on us to give extra special gooey sympathy to her because she is a "mom", and a grieving one at that.

She is, to put it mildly, pathetic. Always has been. She is a mother only a son could love.

(HT to this blog)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...