Saturday, July 04, 2009

For America

It was not until after 9/11 that I took a new interest in American history and have become, well, enamored of the Founding Fathers and their generation. A book by a controversial historian, Founding Brothers, let me see these men in three dimensions, as vividly human. Their flaws, rather than putting me off, endeared them to me. And that has made the existence of this amazing place, America, my homeland, all the more of a continuing miracle. I have been reading about them for the last years; I have have pictures of them on my wall.

The book and series about John Adams was very moving to me, bringing alive the daily details of life in those days. I embed a scene, George Washington taking the oath of office as the first President of the new Republic. I have to confess, it brings tears to my eyes.

Happy Fourth.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...