Thursday, October 01, 2009

Our people



I continue to find evidence that both our political and our cultural disputes are basically tribal. Our tribe, good. Your tribe, bad. Pretty much end of story.

A number of Hollywood types are standing up in favor of Roman Polanski, recently arrested for his rape of a 13 year old girl some three decades ago. Whoopi Goldberg, whom I once found enormously funny and entertaining, said that since it wasn't "rape rape", he should be let off.

I muse on what these folks' attitude would be were the offender of yore someone like, say, Mel Gibson, whose politics and religion do not sit well with the Hollywood tribe.

I think you can guess.

-------------------

3 comments:

Leah said...

I'm finding it harder and harder to be open minded and accepting of liberals these days. Our values are worlds apart.

In my view, 'Hollywood' is in the gutter, yet it still depresses me that they freely acknowledge this fact. Living in this town, I come across some of these people in 'normal' settings such as yoga.
If it were unknown people in the news, that's one thing, when I actually know these people personally, I begin to wonder if it isn't time to move on so I don't pick up their fleas.

DoDoGuRu said...

I'll quibble with your use of the word "alleged" here. Polanski admitted and was convicted of the crime... He fled to Europe before sentencing, but his guilt is not in question (except to Whoopi "that 6th grader was asking for it" Goldberg).

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Thanks for the correction, DoDoGuru.

And Leah,I somehow suspect their fleas wouldn't last 5 seconds on you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...