Thursday, June 03, 2010

Brief seconds, whole worlds

Tomorrow, June 4th, is the 62nd anniversary of my father's death.

He was on his way home to Bladensburg, Maryland after photographing the commencement exercises at Annapolis when his car was involved in an accident and he died. My mother had given birth to me, their first (and only) child, just ten weeks before, in Washington DC.

Because he was where he was, and not ten feet fore or aft, not thirty seconds before or after, his life ended and my whole life was altered. I have a different last name, taken from the man my mom married two years later, and was raised by a different father, and grew up with six brothers and sisters who would have been impossible, never born or imagined, had not my birthfather died, age 28, on June 4th, 1948.


______________________

1 comment:

Leah said...

Wow, do you look like your father!

So sorry his life was cut short, it appears that although life changed dramatically - your family did quite well despite the tragedy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...