Thursday, June 03, 2010

Let 'em eat cake...or not


Some info has been changed to protect the innocent.


B called me from the Shanghai airport to chat. I told him a story about a married friend of mine, whom he knows. The guy's wife has borderline personality disorder. Drama and chaos abound.

The latest was that she was sick and my friend had been taking good care of her, as is his devoted wont. But the other morning he got up after breakfast to take the dog out for his walk and the wife announced that she wanted a piece of cake. Hubby said that he'd pick some up for her on his way back home.

Kaboom.

Borderline Wife had a tantrum, accusing hubby of loving the dog more than he did his own wife. Consequently she hated the dog and hated him. She rose from her sickbed, (where she had previously been immobile for a few days), stormed out of the house and drove her car to an enabling friend of hers out of town. Hasn't called since.

Wow, say B. That's too bad. So who got to eat the cake?

What cake?, says I, he didn't buy the cake.

No cake?, says B. Oh, wow. You didn't warm me that this story would have a sad ending!



See what I'm up against?

________________

4 comments:

PNWReader said...

I'm with B. There should have been cake.

OreamnosAmericanus said...

See? Everyone always takes HIS side!

Anonymous said...

"Borderline" people have a strange ability to go from "you are the best friend I ever had and you are an unbelievebly amazing person" to "you are the most horrid treacherous person I have ever known or ever imagincd could exist" rather instantaneously, and then back again, and then back again...My Mum took care of several BPDers over the years when she worked in the Gen Hosp Psych Unit.

I feel your pain(s).

--Nathan / LightSnake

OreamnosAmericanus said...

What you say is right on, NathanLightSnake. I may have misled,though. The borderline partner really does belong to someone else, not me. So my only pain is for him.

However, (ahem), in line with my post on Adam and Eve, the fella in question knew full well what he was getting into, chose it and continues to choose it and the consequences.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...