Friday, July 23, 2010

Who knew?

B., as he often does, provides moments of puzzlement and enjoyment.

He did a Google Image Search of ExCathedra and assessed the pictures that show up as being composed of "naked men and angry Muslims." Sex, and a political religion. I won't dispute my interest in those subjects.

He sent me a pic of some graffiti he found in the toilet of a local Irish bar. Seems to transcend the divide.


"The Jihad is in my pants"

And he bought a quirky (of course) birthday gift for my friend Bill. Because of the ups and downs --mostly the downs-- of our relationship, not all of my friends are big fans of B. He himself has sometimes referenced the torch-bearing peasants running up the hill to burn down Frankenstein's castle. Anyway, Bill has always been a big supporter of his. Says he understands him. So the gift included something like An Idiot's Guide to Christian Orthodoxy. Bill holds the completely untenable position of Christian Nihilist. B thought he might find the classical version of The Faith interesting. Anyway, included in the book is a reference to St Peter the Aleut, an Aleut native who converted to Orthodoxy when the Russians ruled Alaska.

 Well, it turns out that St Peter the Aleut was gruesomely tortured to death by Spanish Catholic priests for refusing to turn Roman and that this martyrdom took place about ten blocks from my house, at Mission Dolores! I don't remember that item being on the tour...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...