Friday, August 13, 2010

An outburst from the past

I came across this picture. It's the Friars' Chapel for the Dominicans at St Louis University.

There was a professor there in the community back in the 80's who wanted me to come and teach. He thought that an informal way of getting the process started would be for me to visit the community and, so they could get a look at me, so to speak, take my turn saying Mass and preaching,  Which I did. Right in that chapel. I even remember the Gospel for the day:  Mark 2, the healing of the paralyzed man.

After Mass was over and we returned to the sacristy, before I could even get my vestments off, this generally mild and civilized middle-aged priest grabbed me and practically pushed me up against the wall.

"What's the matter?", I gasped.

"Oh, you've ruined everything," he said. "They'll never hire you now. After that performance it's perfectly obvious that you're not mediocre."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey


Just saying hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read.

Leah said...

Well at least he was honest.

Anonymous said...

!

OreamnosAmericanus said...

It may have been true then. Not so sure about now.

PNWReader said...

Somewhere in following your blog I missed that you were a priest.

I recently participated in the hiring of a university faculty member. Different robes, different priesthood, but the mediocrity displayed was warmly welcomed. An unfortunate parallels between Catholic and catholic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...