Monday, September 20, 2010

From sea to shining sea

Late on a warm sunny New York afternoon. Walking my bro's dog. Visiting the newest event in the neighborhood, Eataly, at 5th and 23rd: Whole Foods meets Bloomingdale's, alla Italiana. Huge food emporium with every kind of Italian mangiable you could ask for. Got my host some Piedmontese skirt steak and a few bottles of vino. I'm out tonight with another brother and his family.

Then early tomorrow morning I am out of the house, down to the subway, one stop to Penn Station, the LIRR to Jamaica, catch the Airtrain to JFK,* then fly back west, arriving home from home in the early afternoon. Good Lord willin and the crik don't rise. This year has not been the high tide of my life, and SanFrancisco holds some big challenges for me, but I still will be happy to smell the Pacific air. I've had some of the best moments of my life in that city.

*While arguing with my brother about which of us is the nicer guy --both of us want the other one to be that-- he asks about my departure plans. On discovering that I was planning the subway, train, airtrain route, he insisted I use his company's car service, gratis. So I go to JFK tomorrow in a limo. I guess that solves the argument.





It's been an ok trip. My mom is greatly improved from the spring, both physically and mentally. It's nice to recognize her again.

And I did NOT got down to the site of the proposed abomination of the Ground Zero UnMosque and either spit, pee or throw pork chops. I am a civilized man, after all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...