Saturday, October 16, 2010

Etymologies


I have always been fascinated with language. I grew up in an Irish American family, so English was the sole language in our house, with the exception of a few remnants of Gaelic. I learned from my grandmother the following gems, with her sometimes incorrect pronunciation.

Caid mille failte  (Kayd milla fawlcha)
Ten Thousand Welcomes

Slainte (Sloncha)
To your health

An sagart  ('N soggert)
priest

Sassenach    (Sossenock)
Englishman

prata    (prawtee)
potato

I n-ainm an athar, agus an mhic, agus an sprid naoimh
(Inanya manaha awgus avic awgus shprig naha)

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.


and the very useful

Pogue mahon (Pog mahone)

Kiss my ass.


In fourth or fifth grade, to become an altar boy, I learned the Latin responses of the Mass by rote and phonetically, the way Muslim kids learn the Koran without knowing Arabic. The Confiteor and the Suscipiat were the toughest. 
Suscipiat Dominus sacrificium de manibus tuis 
ad laudem et gloriam nominis sui 
ad utilitatem quoque nostram 
totiusque ecclesiae suae sanctae.
My dad had been an altar boy, so he helped me with them. 


Since I grew up in New York, with so many Jews around, I assumed that some words I later found out to be Yiddish were just English. When I moved to Ohio, for instance, and discovered Oy vey that not everyone knew schlep schlemiel schlemazl schiksah meshuggah schande or shabbas.


When I was in eighth grade, I undertook to teach myself Spanish, using Margarita Madrigal's Magic Key To Spanish (illustrated by Andy Warhol in 1951!), which I took out from the library. A great way to learn Spanish. In my senior year of high school, I was taking Latin, Greek, French and Spanish. I later tackled Italian, German, Esperanto, Hebrew, Irish and Coptic. Didn't always win! Note: Hebrew is way easier than Irish. Even with the different alphabet. The Irish spelling-pronunciation dynamic is rough.

While I'm at it ("rough" reminded me), GB Shaw proposed an alternative alphabet for English, phonetic. It looked like shorthand. He pointed out the oddness of English spelling by saying that the word "ghoti" should be pronounced "fish". Gh from rough, o from women and ti from nation.

I can often recognize a language being spoken, even if I don't speak it. I can usually tell Mandarin from Cantonese Chinese, and Korean from Japanese. I recognize Arabic when I hear it. Slavic languages are harder to distinguish, though some forms of Russian can't be anything but Russian. Scandinavian tongues are hard to distinguish from each other (except Finnish). I can usually tell Dutch from German.

Part of my attraction to esoteric info is etymology. People love to point out how the history of Chinese word is visible in its ideograph. Well, same is true for languages like ours.

My discovery today --dontcha feel smarter already?--is the origin of the now universal Italian greeting, Ciao. It can be used both as a farewell and a hello. My usual Italian lingo consultant guessed, understandably, that it came from Greek. But it's from Italian itself. The very formal antique way of signing a letter in English, "your obedient servant", had its counterpart in Italian, "il tuo schiavo", your slave. And in Venice this became a verbal as well as a written form, pronounced in Venetian style where schiavo, usually skyavo, becomes shavo. Hence, ciao.

Cool, no? And pretty recherche.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My languages of greatest knowth are German (which I used quite a bit in my book research), Japanese and ‘Spranto. (Is the last really a language, or a Pidgin? There are supposed to be 4000 native speakers, but do any really have it as their primary language?) I also had Latin in middle school, and some Spanish in college, but recall little of those.

I also have had the experience of confusing Yiddish with Inglish, even though my exposure to Yiddish was mainly just TV and movies as a kid in the 70’s (and books, natch.) I am bugged at too few people understanding “X, schmX” utterances. Once I was bewildered at a Wheel of Fortune episode when not one contestant could make out or understand the seeming obvious word “buttinsky”.

Interestingly, “pogue” was once a slang for a faygeleh who preferred a schwantz in the tuchis, instead of the gezisht.

Re Shavian alphabet, I once learned the sequel, the Read script, designed by the same fellow. There was a neat version of /Alice in Wonderland/ where two or three new phonemes of regular English were replaced with Read, chapter by chapter. It’s about 60% as voluminous as orthoscript, so is like a tachygraphy, but fin-de-siecle Gregg is about 20%, so there.

Deep Linguistics: when I was a wee bairn, of one and a half to two, I not only did all that normal “babbling” in pseudo-english, but also made all kinds of /clicks/. I still can do this, but not being a Hottentot, I have little use for them.

--Nathan

Anonymous said...

What of the "Buttinsky" in the Simpson's Cartoon where a naked Homer is pull'd across the glass ceiling of the Crystal Cathedral. The squeaking sound this contact emitted indicated that both the external glass and Homer's skin were squeaky clean.

Anonymous said...

But that's the thing, the word has nothing to do with a bum lifted toward heaven.

--Nathan

Anonymous said...

Pickwickians might disagree with you, Nathan.

Anonymous said...

And reality might disagree too. Couldn't a Saturnine butt extending up from the subterranean into a cave (e.g. Crystal Cathedral) be resented as a need-for revaluation-revealing buttinsky?

Anonymous said...

Whatever, Heather.

--Nathan

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Wow. Didn't think etymology would be so provocative!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...