Friday, October 01, 2010

Salvation and loss

Well, it looks like my pix and my documents have been saved from the old hard drive, but they can't seem to find my emails, which I really wanted. I tried to get my old external HD that I used for back up, but neither my new computer nor the little emergency one will recognize its existence. So my backup disk also failed. I look like a computer shop in here, hardware and wires and disks all over the living room. As the guy at Castro Computers said, "It's technology. In the end, nothing is safe."  At least with the Dead Sea scrolls you can put the goatskins in a jar and hide them...



Stuff like this used to make me crazy, but I have now understood that either with an upgrade or a problem, you are going to spend a lot, a lot, of time trying to fix things and some things can't be. At the entrance to the Computer Age should be written: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate. I operate in it col coraggio di coloro chi non hanno speranza nulla. Easier that way.



PS. Speaking of loss. Just checked the mailbox, the actual physical one outside my door. An old friend sent me a death card for a priest I knew when I was a young monk. He was a kind of hero and mentor of mine, but he made his turn to the Right far earlier than I, religiously if not politically. Our talks became more and more formal and difficult and he went from signing his letters "Frank" to "Father Frank" to "Reverend Francis So-and-So." It was the first time, I think, that I lost an older mentor's friendship. I had forgotten about it after so many years, but this is a season when I am pricked by any kind of loss and it makes me remember how puzzling and sad it was to me.

He was the first person I ever approached about my sexual feelings. I was only 19, maybe 20, and a fellow young monk and friend --whom I later realized I was in love with--had had an accident while playing basketball; he asked me to help him get undressed. It was only partial, but I had to be physically closer to him than I had ever been. We were alone. I did nothing, but my physical response to touching him was very clear cause-and-effect. Whether from wisdom or ignorance, Father Frank said that I was young and at my age all sorts of things and people would provoke that kind of thing and not to worry about it. That relieved me. Needless to say, however, the response did not diminish. Little did I know then that it would change my whole life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was watching something on NatGeo recently, a part of which was someone saying that the "best" form of record-keeping tech we have is still just carving things on stone -- in that it's still the most long-lasting storage, without having to take a lot of care and effort to preserve it and/or re-copy it. (One of those "after man" shows, I think -- things like the carvings in Egypt would last the longest.)

--Nathan

Anonymous said...

FF perhaps said words to that effect to many youngsters, and the words contributed to keeping many of these on track to not deciding to make that cause-and-effect an identity definer.

What are the various reasons for paths taken and not taken? -- I mean, besides the usual "internalized homophobia" which everyone has, along with the usual "internalized misogyny" which everyone has (but which is a driver of a kind of homoeroticism in some gay males). I assume there are many factors. ... I suppose really that rather than the simplistic either gay or strait or bi identity system, I would like us all to be artists in how to live vis-a-vis men and vis-a-vis women, composing varying ways of relating by taking up our best possibilities (which also vary with time and experience). ...

モバゲー said...

モバゲーが遂に出会いをプロデュースする事になりました。今まで禁止していた事も全て解放で皆様の出会いをお手伝いさせて頂きます。

阪神ジュベナイルフィリーズ said...

阪神ジュベナイルフィリーズ 2010を徹底予想!!過去の結果やデータから分かる高配当の法則…出走馬の状態などを現地のスタッフからお届けします!

童貞 said...

早く童貞を捨てたいと思っているあなたにピッタリのサイトが誕生!このサイトで長年守っていたあなたの童貞がついに奪われる!?あなたの童貞卒業を優しくサポートしちゃいます☆

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...