Saturday, October 23, 2010

The wages of sin

in this case, is not death, but feeling a bit like death warmed over.

My oldest friend was in town this week and yesterday we included two big meals in our schedule. That, plus whatever else was going on, made for a very unpleasant and fitfully sleepy night --lots of gastro discomfort-- and even now, in the afternoon of the next day, I feel like a truck ran over me. Not food poisoning. But really really tired, sleepy and achy in my muscles. Odd.

I have a healthy appetite but I eat less than I used to. My metabolism, after all these years of regular working out, doesn't require it. So gluttony is not a regular part of life. The last day reminds me why it ought not be.

Anyway, for future reference, do not do the following in the same day: Lunch at Old Mandarin Chinese Islamic Restaurant*, sharing Westlake Dumplings, Mandarin Lamb with Rice and Stirred Potatoes. Most of it pretty hot hot hot. Dinner at Lupa: vino, caprese and rack of lamb balsamico with potatoes, carrots and broccoli rabe, followed by mascarpone. Too much.

8pm Sunday night. Can finally countenance food. Aside from toast earlier in the day. Feeling much better.


It was a nice week for friends. Had dinner with my friend G. My ex Thom knows my old friend and so we had dinner together; very enjoyable. And J and I spent a very pleasant afternoon earlier in the week, nice re-connection. We have one more chance before he leaves later in the week. It's been great having him around.

*Credit here to B, who introduced me to that place and reminded me about it. Absent though he be, he is pretty damn present.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...