Friday, December 03, 2010

Swerves

The DADT issue continues to bubble. The chiefs of both Marines and Army are not happy with the idea. The Navy chief thinks it would be ok. I would love it if homosexual men who wanted to be part of the very traditional institution of the military could sign up and serve as themselves. And I cannot foresee a time when the issue will not be contentious for some; it's in the nature of classical masculinity. But the mission of the armed services comes first.

Re: swerving on the personal front, it's disconcerting --and not happy in the stomach-- to start up a friendly and playful conversation with someone you care about and then to have a hot-button item come up and, in a nanosecond, find yourself lost in the land of Drek. I have worked hard to balance out the natural distance and detachment that my Fiveness exhibits, to wade in deep into the world of experience and feeling and connection. And I have done a pretty good job. But at moments like that, where light-hearted joy turns sour and confusing so fast, I kinda wish I had stayed where I started out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...