Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Statuesquoid

I visited the gift shop at the Oakland Cathedral last week with my Canadian friend and came across this very odd statue of the Christ Child. I know it's him because of the upraised hand and the cross in the halo. But...well, he has no legs; four supports instead, holding his torso over a kind of cloud. And the top of his head is painted dark, like an upturned bowl. It kinda looks like the top of his skull has been removed and you are seeing his brain.


I know Latinos have some vivid religious images, but this was mucho weirdo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a weirder version of the Christ Child had him as a newborn, but standing upright, with a similar gesture (so, precociously adult-like) and in metallic gold paint all over his skin and locks. Kinda sci-fi.

--Nathan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...