Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Pathologies of the highminded

Robin of Berkeley, a local psychotherapist who has passed over from the liberal to the conservative side of the street this past year:

A number of years ago, I was the victim of a brutal street crime.  Although I was left with a broken nose and two black eyes, I learned soon thereafter that I wasn't a "good victim."
A progressive friend, Fran, clued me in.  When I told her what happened, she said, "What you went through wasn't half as bad as what he has suffered."  Fran was referring to the fact that I am white and the assailant was black.  In other words, my suffering didn't matter.

Fran's reaction is not at all unique in these parts; here, there are good and bad victims.  For instance, a couple of years ago, a middle school teacher was stoned and beaten in her classroom by a vicious mob of students.  And yet, because of the racial makeup of the victim and the assailants, the media had little to say, except to imply that the teacher may have been a racist. 

When I mentioned my horror about this heinous crime to yet another leftist friend, she responded in the prescribed, politically correct way.  Without showing an ounce of compassion toward the battered teacher, my friend blamed "white privilege."

One of this city's new supervisors, a Ms. Kim, refuses to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. "I don't think this flag represents a country with liberty and justice for all."  My response is, of course, unprintable. But hey, the current President wouldn't wear the flag on his lapel...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...