Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Unfeeling men

Anyone who thinks being a man means not feeling needs to listen to one of the few places where men, of many kinds, --not the preening developmentally arrested thugs of hip hop--are on view and celebrated: country music.



Mr. Lawrence sings


I'd like to believe in the healing hands of time but the truth is
I really can't say if I'm getting better or just used to the pain.
No I won't go so far as to say that I'm fine 
too much of what I felt for you remains.
I'd like to believe in the healing hands of time but the truth is
I really can't say if I'm getting better or just used to the pain.
If I'm getting better or just used to the pain.



And Joe Nicol's more understated lines from The Shape I'm In


Well I’m gettin better at barely gettin by
When I look at her picture I don’t break down and cry.
And all this time on my hands it’s gettin easier to spend
Cause I’m doin alright for the shape I’m in.

The sun came up again this morning,
I took my old fastback for a spin.
Now when it rains it ain’t always pouring
and I’m learning how to live again

Yea I’m doin alright,
I’m doin alright,
I’m doin alright for the shape I’m in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...