Saturday, June 09, 2012

Me and Jonah Goldberg

I try not to be extra hard on gay films...ok, move along...but I find that my criterion is pretty undemanding. My first rule is: Are any of the characters a) at all honorable, b) at all uncartoonish, c) at all interesting.

I am not often impressed.

I attempted to view The Trip. The lead, a closeted Republican who becomes a gay liberal....zzzzz....has a Hal Parks sexiness about him but then comes the time when, in order to protect his ill ex-boyfriend, he has to take a gun away from a thief. He refuses, screeching like a girl, because he hates guns and won't touch them. Suddenly he is all self-absorption and fear.* I started shouting obscenities at the screen and turned off the movie. WTF is all that supposed to be?

Part of the problem may be that almost all gay movies are about, and by, young people.




PS. In a totally different vein, in The Trip, the two fellas have to sleep out in the open in the desert. They curl up together, spooning, and drift off.  Reminds me of some of the happiest moments of my life. If there is a heaven, it will feel like that.

*Very similar scene here. I was just as unimpressed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...