Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday morning coffee

Community is one of the most overused words with the least meaning. Of many such. When I was in religious life, it was a tiresome fetish phrase. Now in the larger world, it is ubiquitous and empty. "Join the Google community..."

In regard to the LGBTQ "community", I have for several years now preferred to think of us/them as "a demographic with issues."

The mornings have been a bit chilly the last few days, grey and foggy. Harbingers of fall. But we have our regular built-in Indian Summer in SF, September, to look forward to. Often the nicest month of the year.

My friend WH, a really nice guy in practice, carries a dark view of life and of humanity. Makes me seem Pollyanna by comparison. Occurred to me the other day that he has nursed a deep resentment his whole life against...reality. His roiling outrage at what he considers injustice --sometimes good people suffer and bad people succeed-- is based on a vision of the world that is completely impossible. Sorta like being furious for decades and decades that 2+2 does not equal 5. He's a One with, thank God, a strong Two wing. A shame. Aside from his kindness and intellectual curiosity, one thing I like about him is that his contradictions make mine, by comparison, seem less incoherent.

Jude Law's very Alpha-ish Sidekick to Holmes

Something about the later Victorian era, as fictionalized in Sherlock Holmes, really attracts me. Even though I know enough about it to realize that I would have been pretty uncomfortable much of the time, on several levels, there's a definite appeal. The combination of high energy and strong restriction in a story, or a culture, has always fascinated me. It may also be that this was one of the last moments when Western man was self-confident.

The bells are ringing at Holy Redeemer for Sunday Mass.

---




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...