Saturday, May 11, 2013

More scattershots

Having taken a peek at a few Jungian sites this morning, I find that their utter embeddedness in the leftliberal worldview continues.

From the movies, why on earth Harry Potter likes Ginny Weasley is beyond me. She's a humorless prig. I have never once seen her laugh. She'll smile, but no laughing.

The smoky black ink effects in the movies --with the Death Eaters or with the memory fragments in the pensive--are really good.

I wish Richard Harris had lived to complete the Potter movies. With his gravitas, Dumbledore's lately revealed being gay would have felt different.

Beautiful light, sky, sun, breeze, trees in San Francisco on a May afternoon. What a nice planet.

Re-doing my therapy website, I find myself writing that, from the point of view of our post-feminist culture, while women may have problems, men are problems.

Simple things make good food: hard boiled eggs, garbanzo beans, black pepper, anchovies, olives, tuna, lemon juice and Caesar dressing.

And here it is, May, and I suddenly have a yen for mince pie.

==



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginny in the movies is quite humorless and bland. My sister hates the sixth movie because of that, which is ironic, because HBP is her favorite of the books. In the books, the highlighted parallels between her and Lily (redheads, loyal, aggressive maternal instincts) presents a rather Freudian romance for Harry. The movies present Hermione as the "logical" option for Harry, but I always thought that his interactions with Luna had an interesting kindred souls dynamic. Knowledge vs. wisdom, logic vs intuition. Faintly Gnostic. :)

Maybe it was the fact that I'm not attracted to girls, but it took me a while to figure out that some scenes in Book 6 where Harry was arguing with the "monster" inside him about Ginny were a metaphor for his libido. It even wants to kill Dean when Harry sees him kiss Ginny, and "crows" when Harry finally kisses Ginny. Clever, JK. ;)

-Sean

Anonymous said...

"Having taken a peek at a few Jungian sites this morning, I find that their utter embeddedness in the leftliberal worldview continues."

That is something you could make a counterpunch to. A site about Jung, both Richtig and Recht. Unless you feel too Alt.

"I wish Richard Harris had lived to complete the Potter movies. With his gravitas, Dumbledore's lately revealed being gay would have felt different."

Yes. We need more Odin, less Santa.

--Nathan

Anonymous said...

Nathan, brilliant metaphor. Richard Harris had a great grandfatherly aspect to him. Michael Gambon had a bit more of the humor and slyness that Dumbledore seemed to have in the books, but was a less masculine figure than Harris. The confrontation between Dumbledore and Voldemort in Order of the Phoenix would have had a completely different dynamic if Harris had lived. All in all, book Dumbledore reminded me a lot of my own grandfather. Ironic.

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...