Sunday, June 16, 2013

Nice try, Hannibal

The TV pre-quel series Hannibal is over for the season. In a word: nice try.

The detective character, Will Graham, is too pitiable. Hannibal --whose suit and tie distract me all the time-- is too flat. He lacks the satanic joy that Antony Hopkins brought to the character. None of the women have the spunk of a Starling. Focusing so much energy on this teenager drains the life out of the two men. And really, unless we are playing the tired-out multiculti  game of the The Black Police Superior, why is Laurence Fishburne there. Or anywhere?

--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't watched it. Had a feeling it would not be good. Guess I was right.

To clarify: what is the difference between a "spunky" woman and a "phallic" woman? Is a spunky woman assertive but not aggressive, unlike a phallic woman who is constantly seeking redress of wrongs real and imagined? I can usually spot phallic when I see it, but I'm not sure I can distinguish between the two.

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...