Saturday, August 17, 2013

Try as I might

there is almost always at least one incident of SV&U in my visits home.

SV&U is B's shorthand for "small, venal and uncharitable", the reaction grown adults have when their parents --mothers especially--push their ancient childhood buttons.

No details. Only to say that small, simple and uncomplicated things become dramatic, frustrating and complex in a nanosecond. And one goes from being a senior on Medicare to an 8 year old. Just that it still amazes me how visceral it is.

As the health care worker said to me, Your mother treats all her children like babies.

--


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has B met the family? Is the family aware of B? Introducing the dreaded Significant Other sounds like another big hurdle in the family relationship: first they find out about this part of you, and then when they are finally comfortable with the idea, they get hit with the confirmation: "Oh my God, he really does like guys!"

-Sean

OreamnosAmericanus said...

No. Yes.

OreamnosAmericanus said...

PS I've been out to my family for 30 years now. And they have known of and/or met the significant men in my life. B is just shy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...