Wednesday, October 09, 2013

It's hard to be consistent

Whilst enjoying my breakfast today on a bright fall morning, I was treated to an audio rendition of Whitney Houston's hit song, The Greatest Love Of All.

It ranks up there with John Lennon's Imagine as epic super-twaddle.


"Greatest Love Of All"

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody's searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs
A lonely place to be
And so I learned to depend on me

[Chorus:]
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all

And if, by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love


She drowned in a bathtub at the Beverly Hills Hilton at age 48, due to a heart attack brought on by years of cocaine use. Her trainwreck of a marriage to rapper and criminal Bobby Brown was well known.

It's hard to live up to your songs,
especially the bad ones.

--

3 comments:

Ghulam Al-Bob said...

That's what's great about "Sheik of Araby" --- easy to live up to.

Anonymous said...

To be fair though, this song wasn’t written specifically for her. It was originally recorded by George Benson in 1977, for a biopic about Muhammad Ali. Maybe reading about the song’s history and hearing the original will make you change your mind about its quality. It certainly isn’t the worst song in the world. It’s not up there with “Feelings” or “Sometimes When We Touch”. I first heard Benson’s version, on a television special hosted by Phil Donahue. It was ballet pas de deux, choreographed by Arthur Mitchell for the Dance Theater of Harlem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Love_of_All

Like Linda Ronstadt, Houston has a history of making megahits, covering other people’s material. “I Will Always Love You” was originally written and recorded by Dolly Parton. “Saving All My Love for You” was originally recorded by Marilyn McCoo.

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Fairness is a Liberal value. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...